The Joe Jefferson Players opened its first
production on December 17, 1947. The show was Angel Street,
also famous as the film Gaslight. Our first production
starred Emily Bell. Emily Bell McNally is still active at JJP as a member of our board.
JJP first moved to its current location in 1949, occupying a small church building. The first show in this location
opened November 7, 1949. It was The Man Who Came to Dinner.
The original building was eventually condemned and after operating out
of the Dauphin Street Methodist Church for two years, the current building opened in 1961 in its original location with
the production Look Homeward Angel. The playhouse
was expanded in 1967 and has been in continuous operation ever since.
OUR BUILDING ON CARLEN STREET